Friday, May 30, 2008

A Family of Friends, Cont.

Overheard while Grace and Caleb were coloring:

Caleb: I lup you all the way around the world.
Grace: I love you to Venus and back.
Caleb: I lup you to Albuquerque and back.
Grace: I love you to Sapitur and back.
Caleb: What is Sapitur?
Grace: Well, it's a planet.
Caleb: Oh. What is a planet?
Grace: Well, stars are planets and planets shine like the stars. And then there's aliens.
Caleb: Oh.

Yes, for the most part, they love each other and their new brother in a way that is so precious. But, we aren't going to pretend it's all hugs and kisses around here all the time...



Let's be honest, it isn't easy having an instant toddler for a brother who gets in to all your stuff and who you are constantly being asked to watch.

Why Four-Year-Olds Don't Make Good Babysitters

This weekend, we moved Grace and Caleb in together so Joshua could have his own room (my motto: The worst sleeper gets their own room). Phil and I were busy breaking down and moving beds and other furniture, so Joshua was plopped in the pack and play in the hallway and not very happy about missing out on the excitement.

We sent Caleb to keep his little brother entertained, which meant that he also had to miss out on the excitement which he earnestly felt he had a right to be involved in. Caleb quickly solved this problem and marched back into his new room. "I don't have to watch Joshua anymore," he announced happily, "because I put a box on his head."

Now why haven't I ever thought of that?

3 comments:

Poppa said...

Why didn't I think of that. Man we had all of those boxes when the kids were little.

Poppa

Poppa said...

Why didn't I think of that. Man we had all of those boxes when the kids were little.

Poppa

stephanie said...

love your motto! couldn't agree more. too bad we are running out of rooms...