Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Date Night

One of my favorite traditions from my own childhood is when my parents took us out for special dates. My sister and I each had a date with Dad on our birthdays and my Mom took my brother out. We always got to pick where we wanted to go, and for a family that rarely ate out, this was a special treat indeed.

Undoubtedly, my dad got the better deal. He usually ended up dining creekside in a favorite Italian restaurant, while my mom generally found herself sitting in a vinyl booth enjoying a Big Mac with my little brother (whose tastes, by the way, have improved dramatically over the years).

I understand this now, because Phil and I have continued a similar tradition with our family. Grace plans her dates talking about painting pottery together or shopping for jewelry.


Caleb plans a little differently.

"Mom, I want to go on a roller coaster and you have to come too, even if you scream and throw up."



Well, gosh, that's sweet, but lucky for me there are no roller coasters by us.

At least not that I'm telling him about.

We went rock climbing instead.



Joshua and I ended up going out to breakfast together.

"Joshie, wouldn't you like to have a yummy bagel at Einstein's?" I suggested hopefully.

"No, I want to go to McDonalds."

"Are you sure? For breakfast? Isn't there anywhere else you would want to go for breakfast besides McDonalds?"

"Well..." he thought hard. "Oh, I know! I want to go to Del Taco!"

I should have quit while I was ahead.



But it is, after all, the company and not the food, that make the date.

1 comment:

Poppa said...

If we did it today, I am pretty sure Mom would come out ahead. Although it would take them a long time on their date, because neither one of them can decide on the place, and once they get there, it takes them a long time to decide on what to eat.