Thursday, February 5, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes...

It was a peaceful afternoon. A soft breeze came through the open windows, carrying with it the faint sounds of a neighbor's guitar. Joshua had been wooed into a deep sleep right after lunch and Grace and Caleb were quietly engrossed in books and puzzles. Occasionally I could hear Caleb singing softly to himself, but other than that, a peaceful stillness was settled over the house.

When the kitchen timer finally signaled that rest time was over, Caleb came in and put his arm around me.

"Did you have a good rest time?" I asked him.

"Yeah." His big sigh was full of importance as he assumed his "tough guy" voice. "During west time I was doing battle with the Enemy of Lies!"

Did I miss something? "Um, Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, 'cause I was singing Joy to the World and when you sing songs to the glewy of God you fight away the Enemy of Lies!"

I smiled at his earnest face. "That's right," I told him.

"Yeah, I know. Can I have a snack now?"

Even though he is often incapable of finding his shoes when it's time to leave the house or remembering the proper position for the toilet seat, I am encouraged to know that he does understand some of life's important truths. And I am reminded of Jesus' words about little children: the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. (Mark 10:14)

1 comment:

debby94 said...

Oh that's so awesome! You & Phil are great parents and the children are lucky to have you.