Friday, November 28, 2008

Gratitude

I never thought I would say this, but as I listened yesterday to a family member in his 90's discussing a book he was reading on Einstein's theories, it occurred to me that some of the more interesting people I know are over 80 years old.

Recently another very active family member who is approaching 90 remarked about something: "Oh, when I am old I would like to do that."

When you are old?

Not that getting old looks all that easy. Yesterday my husband's family gathered at our house for Thanksgiving. It would be the last time his grandma would ever be able to leave the Alzheimer's unit where she lives. It is sad even for someone who has only known her a few years to see how much she has aged and how much the disease has taken from her in such a seemingly short time. She is unable to walk, to stand up, unable to even understand most of the conversation around her.

We looked through old family photos yesterday and I saw her smiling and youthful on her wedding day, and full of life as a young mother. I saw all the places life had taken her over the years, and I felt sad for her for where she was now.

Yet it was she who gave me the best lesson on gratitude yesterday.

Her husband was telling us how he visits her every evening and they have devotions together. Recently she prayed with sweet sincerity: "Thank you, God, for this nice place to live (an Alzheimer's unit!). You have given me a nice bed, nice people to take care of me, good meals..."

Such a simple and pure gratitude for where God has her right now was both touching and convicting to me.

I watch her husband, and though he too is weary from her disease, he patiently reassures her, holds her hand, and kisses her, rarely leaving her side. He writes her cards with words like, "These are the good years."

As for me, I am thankful to have their examples of gratitude and faithfulness. After spending time with them, I am reminded of the words of Psalm 92:

[The righteous] will still bear fruit in old age,
they will stay fresh and green,
proclaiming, "The LORD is upright;
He is my Rock,
and there is no wickedness in Him."

1 comment:

debby94 said...

I am always uplifted and encouraged after reading your posts Angie. Thank you!