Friday, July 18, 2008

My Two Sons


Children are not things to be molded, but people to be unfolded. - Jesse Lair

I believe a study of the natural world reveals an imaginative and whimsical Creator who delights in variety. As a mom, I think a study in the varied personalities of my children reveals the same thing.

I have two sons, as different from each other in temperment and personality as night and day. One of them is boisterous, exuberant, determined, and insistent (qualities that probably served him well competing for attention in an orphanage). The other is waaay more laid-back and easy-going, with a gentle spirit.

Consider the way each starts the day...

Josh races the sun up each morning, and, despite multiple layers of blankets and other items covering his window, begins yelling at me from his crib at a terribly ungodly hour. When I go in to greet him, there is no good morning hug, no smile, just shouting and desperate reaching for the door. "Come on! The day is going to start without me!" he seems to say.

When I finally let him out, he marches down the hallway in a purposeful way that says, "Let's go, I've got things to do!" He then lets me know in no uncertain terms what is and is not acceptable to feed him for breakfast.

About two hours later when I go in to wake up Caleb, he slowly yawns and sits up. He rubs his eyes, considers the day, and, ever the sunny optimist, remarks, "You know, Mom, if I ever get one of my fingers chopped off, well, it's okay because I got nine more!"

God has gifted each of them with the unique qualities and personalities to fit His purposes for them and we are excited to see what the future holds.

No comments: